IMG_7841.jpg

SUSPENSION

Springs, Axles, Shocks, Wheels

SPRINGS

I decided to restore my old springs rather than purchase new ones, or switch to parabolic. I stripped each spring cluster down into individual leaves, and wire brushed them with an angle grinder to remove as much rust as possible. I then used an hydraulic press to remove the old bushes (using a suitable drift), and to re-arch each leaf to match its corresponding partner from its opposite spring. There were quite big discrepancies between opposite leaves. I also decided to add a small, arbitrary amount of extra arch to each leaf, just to give a little “life” to the tired old springs.
I assembled each spring and sandblasted the exposed areas. I then dismantled the springs again, and painted each leaf with rust converter and primer to neutralize the last bits of rust present in the grooves and pit marks. The new bushes were pressed into each main leaf using a bit of copper grease, and then each leaf received a coat (by brush) of Hammerite gloss black (smooth).
Once dry, the leaves were lightly sanded and packed back together with a small amount of copper grease between each one. The ease with which the leaves slide over one another now is vastly improved, which bodes well for how the new springs will perform once on the vehicle.

Original springs
Re-arching each leaf
Sandblasted assembly
Finished springs
Finished product

VARIOUS COMPONENTS

Every single component on the Landy is to be rebuilt, repaired and/or restored.
The shocks were working perfectly, but were rusted badly. After sandblasting each of them, a coat of 2K automotive paint brought them back to life. The propshafts were completely overhauled, including new universal joints, rubber boots and a fresh coat of paint. The fuel tank was paint-stripped, leaks repaired, fuel sender overhauled, and everything repainted.

IMG_7125.jpg
IMG_7150.jpg
Tank stripped
Tank sprayed
Tank in chassis

AXLES

My axles received an overhaul by a good friend and fellow Landy Restorer, Graham. He had experience from recently restoring his own Series 3 Landy, and has been an invaluable source of information during my rebuild. Following some delays in ordering parts from the UK due to Covid-19, we were finally able to complete the axles, just in time to be re-attached to the newly refurbished springs and chassis.

 

The quality of the final work speaks for itself! The axle casings and drums were all sandblasted before being painted with 2K gloss black (the casings) and high heat matt black (the drums). All bolts were either new or re-plated, and all bearings and seals were replaced with new ones. All brake shoes were re-lined, ball joints replaced and brake cylinders replaced with new ones (Series Landy's have the braking power of a Mediterranean cruise liner, so one cannot be too careful in this department!). When mated to the refurb'ed springs, prop shafts and gearbox, the entire transmission is smooth and "solid" (well, as solid as a 50-year-old Landy can be!).

 

This gallery shows the final product:

IMG_7843
IMG_7849
IMG_7845
IMG_7842
IMG_7847
IMG_7846
IMG_7848
IMG_7844
IMG_7841

Wheels

I bought a set of five Michelin XZL 7.50x16 tyres, and a second-hand set of 5.5" Series Land Rover rims. I resprayed the rims in a nice "Limestone" colour using 2K paint, and the end result was really pleasing...

IMG_7854.jpg

Latest Suspension Blog Articles

Click here to go to main blog