top of page
The existing 2.25 litre 3 main bearing petrol engine (standard to the vehicle) was running ok before the restoration, but as I had no performance benchmark for a vehicle of this age, and given this is a full nut-and-bolt restoration, I decided to open up the engine and see what needed overhauling inside.
The cylinder walls were fairly badly worn, with a significant ridge at the top of the piston ring travel. Furthermore, one could shine a light down the side of the pistons, and observe the piston rings in the gap. The cylinders were obviously worn, and possibly made oval in shape. The machine shop had a look at things, and, as the pistons were already 0.030" oversized, we decided to fit sleeves into the cylinders, and revert back to standard piston sizes.
The engine block and head were stripped and sandblasted, before fitting new cylinder sleeves (which were then bored to size), standard size pistons and rings, main bearings, tappet guides and rollers, crank seals, and cam shaft bearings. The head had new valves fitted, as well as valve guides and seals. Hardened exhaust valve seats were installed to enable the use of unleaded fuel. A full pressure test was conducted on the block and head, and both mating surfaces skimmed. The flywheel was skimmed, ready for a new clutch and pressure plate, and the manifolds cleaned up and mating surfaces skimmed. All sandblasted surfaces were coated at the machine shop with a light oil to prevent surface rust before spray painting.
After cleaning out all passages and waterways thoroughly to remove any debris and sand, the engine block and head were de-greased and masked. The new spray booth (built for this project, and the topic for a blog article one day...) was used to give the parts a coat of 2K Duck-Egg Blue (see blog article on the interesting origins of this colour for Series Landy engines!).
Every single component, whether it be the carburetor, water pump, fuel pump, oil filter, oil pump, rocker shaft assembly or timing chain assembly, was stripped, cleaned, repaired or refurbished, painted, and reassembled, before being re-attached back onto the engine itself. The goal (as with every aspect of this build) is to produce a work of art, comparable to, or better than, the original!
The engine was then attached to the gearbox, which was already located in the chassis, connected to the rest of the drive-train. The pairing was seamless, and after connecting a battery, fuel line, and a few basic electrics (such as a started switch, oil pressure light and alternator), the engine was ready for her first start!
With a basic static timing performed, fuel primed, and carburetor recently overhauled, the engine fired on her first crank! A VERY satisfying and emotional occasion!
Latest Engine Blog Articles
bottom of page